So, You’ve Done a File Room Purge…Now What?
Call Us Today For Your Shredding Estimate
A file room purge can be an overwhelming, yet necessary, task. The benefits of doing a file purge are that it allows you additional space, keeps your business and files organized, and ensures retention dates are monitored. It’s also a great way to foster teamwork and staff comradery.
After the Purge
With your inactive and outdated files removed, here’s what you should do next:
- Consider storing permanent and inactive files, known as archival records, off-site at a records storage Storage space that is offsite is much more affordable than using up the valuable and useable space of your working space facility.
- Collect any files that are at or beyond their retention dates and keep them in a secure location for the time being.
- Contact a reputable, locally-owned shredding company to properly shred all of your discarded files onsite, or arrange to drop them off at one of their designated drop off locations. Make sure the company you choose recycles your shredded material so that it doesn’t end up in landfill.
- Don’t worry about removing file folders, paper clips, staples, or rubber bands. They can all be shredded as well. Ask if they can provide you with a Certificate of Destruction as auditable proof of your compliance with data privacy laws. On-site mobile shredding usually allows you to watch your files being shredded.
- Utilize a file retention system that will alert you when specific file retention dates have arrived so you can immediately discard files to stay compliant.
- Consider a routine shredding service so you have secure shred collection containers on site all the time and the contents are collected, shredded on site in a mobile shred truck, and recycled on a regular basis.
Wiggins Shredding offers secure, one-time purge or routine shredding and destruction services that are compliant with all federal and Pennsylvania privacy laws. We are proud to assist clients in Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, and Delaware with their secure shredding needs. For more information, call us at 610-692-TEAR(8327) or complete the form on this page. We look forward to hearing from you!