Earth Day and Shredding Are a Dynamic Duo
Call Us Today For Your Shredding Estimate
Historical Dynamic Duos
We are fascinated by dynamic duos; couples that go together so well they become iconic. Take these examples:
- Romeo & Juliet (Shakespeare, 1597)
- Batman & Robin (DC Comics, 1940)
- John Lennon & Paul McCartney (The Beatles, 1957)
- Bert & Ernie (Sesame Street, 1969)
- R2-D2 & C3P0 (Star Wars, 1977)
- Mario & Luigi (Super Mario Brothers, 1983)
Just pairing up doesn’t guarantee greatness; it takes two powerful entities to create dynamic results. Dynamic duos come in all forms, including people, cartoon characters, foods, colors, concepts, and so much more. You probably have your own favorites.
Earth Day and shredding are one dynamic duo that may not be as obvious. Why does this pair qualify for greatness? Because they naturally complement each other, with one focusing on protecting our beautiful planet and its natural resources and the other supporting that goal when responsible shredding companies recycle the paper they shred. Together they become more than the sum of their parts, but how?
The Individual Strengths of Two Dynamos
1. Earth Day
Earth Day focuses on bringing wider public consciousness to harmful environmental practices and calls for action to protect, conserve, and renew. It all started with Senator Gaylord Nelson creating Earth Day on April 22, 1970, when 20 million Americans demonstrated in cities across the nation in one of the most successful awareness campaigns in history.
Paper consumption is one of the things that can benefit from small changes in our habits. Thanks to the internet and exponential growth in electronic data storage capabilities, there is a lot we can do to avoid using paper unnecessarily. Printers and copiers are the greatest consumers of paper, and the result is a lot of landfill waste. Earth Day is a reminder that wanting to make a change is only the first step; the next step is to take action.
Shredding machines were first marketed in the 1950s with the intent to make it impossible for information in documents to be read by others. In the mid-1980s, they became one of the best ways to protect confidential information. Unfortunately, the shredding machines you can buy and place in your office or home are not enough to guarantee information security, as many companies and private citizens have discovered to their dismay.
A reputable shredding company can offer secure shredding services in compliance with federal and state data privacy laws. They can destroy paper documents, hard drives, and other electronic media through routine scheduled shredding or one-time purge shredding service, destroying everything on site at your location in their mobile shredding truck and giving you a Certificate of Destruction to prove your compliance with state and federal data privacy laws.
Earth Day Meets Shredding Company
What does Earth Day have to do with shredding? Consider these facts:
- Recycling one ton of paper saves 17 trees.
- One ton of recycled paper saves more than 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space.
- Simply by existing, trees improve soil, conserve water, convert carbon dioxide to oxygen and store excess carbon, and their cooling shade that regulates temperature extremes.
- Trees reduce storm water runoff, erosion, flooding, and pollution in our waterways.
- Many species of wildlife depend on trees for their habitat and their very existence. Trees provide food, protection, and shelter for countless birds, mammals, reptiles, insects, invertebrates, fungi, and even other plant species.
In response, reputable shredding companies are now recycling 100% of their shredded material so it can be made into new recycled paper products. The effect of that is so much greater than simply converting used paper to new products. Here’s why:
- Recycling uses 70% less energy and water than making new paper.
- Recycling paper cuts down on smog compared to new paper production.
- Jobs are created in the burgeoning recycling industry.
- The need for new landfill sites and incinerators is reduced.
- Pollution and greenhouse gas emissions are reduced.
- The pollution caused by extracting and processing virgin trees is eliminated.
Earth Day and shredding make a natural dynamic duo, creating positive changes in our environment.
Wiggins Shredding provides a full range of shredding services to the businesses and residents of Pennsylvania and Tri-State Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey. For more information, call us at at 610-692-TEAR (8327) or complete the form on this page. We look forward to providing you with secure and environmentally-friendly shredding.